« Home | Congratulations to Samuel & Naomi! » | 2.38am.... » | Japanese pranks... » | Grand Hyatt Singapore » | Finishing June's assignments with a bang! » | Ms Clover and our May Dive trip... » | Rainy weather on Sunday... » | I can't wait for June to end and July to start... » | Just contented.. » | Influenced by MTV »

Ricoh GR Digital

I need a small compact camera which I can bring on travels and still gives me the quality of an SLR... and after much considerations, I'm quite settled for the Ricoh GR Digital.

I managed to played with it for a while when Darren (Soh) brought this little whizbang along to Lyn's wedding and I'm really impressed by the lightweight, fussfree operation and look of the GRD. ANd the best thing is that it functions like a rangefinder with the highend capablities of a dSLR (8.13mps, iso 64 - 1600, 1sec - 1/2000sec). It is definitely perfect for travelling (only 170 grams!) and my everyday carrying-around. (Don't you just hate it when you observe a great scene to be photographed but you don't have your camera with you...)

I love the fact that it's also a fixed focal length camera (28mm) coz it will be a great way to exercise picture composition with a given focal length. With a 2.5in LCD and 210'000 pixel resolution on the LCD, it is suffice for reviewing.

here's some pics from Letsgodigital.org:

28mm f2.4 fixed length.


28mm f2.4 lenshood + rangefinder


Back view with 21mm Wide angle attachment lens


Hopefully when we go HKG next week, we can get a good deal @ Tin Cheung or ManSheng

I was looking for a compact digital a couple of months back and finally settled on the Panasonic LX1. I did look at the GRD but was not impressed by its noisy sensor. Anything above iso 200 is full of noise. That's not to say the LX1 was any different but the difference in price and the excellent manual controls of the LX1 was enough for me to choose the Panasonic. I really like the fact that many of its controls are directly accessible through buttons and you don't have to wade through different levels of the menu to turn something on or off. And it has a nice panoramic mode too (16:9) which appeals to me. Hope you gave the LX1 a thought.

thanks Mr Sanguine. Actually I did observe the thread which you have posted your comment about the LX1. Guess the extras that the GR Digital offers still won me over in terms of form, functions and the possible idea of expansion.

*seriously I think it looks damn cool like a rangefinder

Well, I love grains and it seems that the GR Digital's grains from ISO 400 up is pretty appealing already. Actually LX1's draw is just the OIS function which can be useful at times but I'm one for less-perfection and the 16:9 pano which can be activated instantly. Tempting but that can be done postpro. Just have to frame for 16:9 when I shoot.

Well, still doing my research before making my decision. Maybe in the end, I may not even buy anything in HKG if the price is not right :D

Thanks for your recommendation on the LX1 ya!

Bug, thanks for cluing me in about this camera. A digital rangefinder like this would be fantastic for street photography.

The GR is a very very good little camera !!!!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Shutterbug
  • From- Singapore
  • What- Photographer
My profile

Email...

    ron@eye-deas.com

Supporter of:

    Pupsik Studio

    Sparkle Thots

Movie muse

    IronMan 2008 *****/5

Shout Outs


Calender

  • 15/12 :: Proud owners of our own Loft!

  • 19/12 :: House Reno begins

  • 19/12 :: All-White XMas Party @ The Pond

  • 20/12 :: WPN Xmas Party @ Lightpixels Wessex

  • 25/12 :: Merry Christmas everyone!

  • 31/12 :: New Year's Eve Dinner @ Yveon Loft

  • 01/01 :: Happy 2009 everyone!

  • 07/12 - 10/12 :: Good bye Bishan, Hello Bukit Panjang

  • 19/01 :: Renovation completion

Vision'08

  • SAVE UP FOR OUR CUSTOMARY WEDDING !

  • To serve more efficiently in God's kingdom

  • To cultivate a closer relationship with my loved ones

  • To lose 10 kgs

  • To learn to be more sensitive spiritually and emotionally

  • To go for a liveonboard dive trip again

  • To exercise musicianship professionally

  • Have a solo photography exhibition in 2008

  • Love more, give more and bless others more!

  • Expanding my photography business

Travel dreams...

  • Watch a live Sumo match in Japan

  • Climb Mt Fuji

  • Watch the Northern lights

  • Play the slots in Las Vegas

  • Trek Nepal

  • Dive in Maldives

  • Shoot New York City

Links

Powered by
& Blogger Templates
I support
What The Duck - Cash or Cheque?